Your home can be infested at any time of year. However, pest infestations are significantly more common in the winter. This is because pests are trying to escape from the cold in the same way that humans are. This is true of warm-blooded mammal pests, like mice and rats, but it is also true of bugs. There are a few telltale signs that your home is experiencing a winter pest infestation. Because pest infestations can worsen rapidly as it gets colder, once you have spotted them, you should call the professionals at Legacy Pest Control as soon as possible.
Common Winter Pests
The list of pests that can infest your home is long and includes many different types of animals and insects. However, there are several species that are responsible for most of the winter pest infestations in the Ogden area. The most common pests in winter, as in the rest of the year, are rodents, such as rats and mice. Unfortunately, there are other pests that you need to be concerned about.
Spiders often infest homes in great numbers in the winter. They are driven by a need to get away from the cold like all of the other organisms on this list, but that’s not the only reason you may find spiders in your home this winter. Insects of all types are trying to get away from the cold, and spiders (as with all predators) follow their prey. Some of their prey that also commonly infest homes include cockroaches, ants, and many types of bugs commonly found in firewood like Box Elder bugs and termites. While you do want spiders to eat these bugs (especially termites), that doesn’t mean you want them in your home.
Rats and mice are the most common mammals seen in winter pest infestations, but they are far from the only ones. Squirrels and raccoons often find their way into people’s homes to escape the cold. These large, tree-dwelling mammals are often seen higher up in the structure, especially in the attic.
5 Signs of Winter Pest Infestation
There are many signs of an infestation, but some are not easily spotted by the untrained eye. However, there are five signs of an infestation that anyone can spot. If you see any of these signs, get professional help immediately. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to treat the infestation.
- Droppings: If you see small, circular droppings in your house, especially near sources of food and water, you have a rodent infestation. Where there’s one rodent, there’s always more out of sight.
- Dead bugs/molts: If you see a large number of molted spider skins or dead bugs, you should seek assistance. Learn to recognize Box Elder bugs and termites, as they are the ones that can be the most destructive.
- Bite marks: If you see bite marks on objects near sources of food or water, you may have a rodent problem.
- Crumbling wood trim: This is a telltale sign of a termite infestation. Termites often infiltrate a house through underground points of entry, and live inside the wooden structure. They can do serious damage relatively quickly if they are untreated.
- Skittering sounds in the walls or attic: Rats and mice usually move around a house at night, when everything’s quiet. You may be able to hear them if you pay attention.
Call Legacy Pest Control Today
If you see any of these signs, contact us here, or call 801-779-3131. We are happy to answer any questions and respond to any concerns you might have during our free consultation. We are a family-owned company with over 15 years of experience serving the residents of Weber and its surrounding counties.