Summertime is a fun time for everyone. It’s a time for backyard barbecues, fun in the pool, trips to the beach, and time spent soaking up that beautiful sunshine. Unfortunately, you and your family are not the only ones who enjoy the weather this time of year; pests of all kinds also want to get in on the action. Flies, ants, gnats, cockroaches, rodents and wasps are all clamoring to make the most of these ideal weather conditions. During the winter season, these creatures are inhibited by cold, rain, and frost, making pest control a minor or nonexistent concern. But now that we’ve been enjoying the heat for a few weeks, unwanted visitors of all kinds are in prime condition to invade your home.
Summertime Pest Control Tips
So what’s to be done to prevent pests from joining the guest list during the warmest part of the year? Well, there’s good news and bad news. The good news is there’s a lot you can do to discourage pests. The bad news is some of the most important pest prevention measures you can take should be done before we reach the high summer months, and some should only be done by qualified pest control experts.
Here’s a list of things you can do, and things you should avoid doing, to keep unwanted visitors to a minimum.
Pest Control Do’s
Even if pests have been nesting in your home for some time, they still had to come from outside originally. A good place to start your pest prevention measures is on the outside of your home.
- Replace your window weather-stripping
- Repair loose bricks, mortar, and concrete around your foundation
- Remove standing water
- Direct rainwater away from your home
- Keep your landscaping trim and neat
Bugs and other vermin want food and shelter, just like humans. To keep your home free of pests, you need to remove the things they are attracted to as much as possible.
- Keep kitchen areas clean and place unused food in sealed containers
- Get rid of any hiding places pests might like
- Keep your basement, crawl spaces, and attic dry and well ventilated
- Dispose of overripe fruit and vegetables
Pest Control Don’ts
Creating attractive areas for bugs can be difficult, but following these tips will make your home exterior less appealing to them.
- Avoid storing building materials or firewood up against the house
- Don’t let sprinklers spray directly onto your home’s foundation
- Don’t allow garbage to pile up
- Don’t ignore cracks or little openings around the bottom of the house
Anything messy, wet, rotten, soiled, or dark is a draw for bugs and pests. Dissuade them with these indoors don’ts.
- Avoid leaving pet food out for prolonged periods of time
- Don’t let dirty dishes sit in the sink
- Avoid letting moisture accumulate
- And don’t give pests a free meal
Do: Call the Professionals
This list of summer pest prevention tips will go a long way toward reducing pest activity inside and outside of your, home, garage, and exterior buildings. But of all the ‘do’s’ on this list, the most important is to call the professionals if you believe you may have a pest or vermin infestation. The most important don’t is, don’t attempt to remove a serious pest infestation on your own. Some pest infestations present a risk of property damage and even personal injury. Some pests can be dangerous, and the methods necessary to remove them should only be done by pest removal experts.
If you suspect you might have a serious infestation, it’s best to contact the pest control experts at Legacy Pest Control right away. You can contact us here, or call 801-799-3131 for a free quote, knowing that we’ve served Northern Utah for more than 20 years.