Pets come in many shapes and forms and one of the most common issues involves dust mites. When it comes to dust mite pest control, the team from Legacy Pest Control is here to help you. Some of the key facts regarding dust mites include:
- Latin Name: Dermatophagoides Farinae
- Length: About 1/75th of an inch
- Color: Off white or tan
- Sounds: None
- Digestive Tract: Inefficient, creating about 20 dung pellets per day which are devoid of moisture and are wrapped in a special film
Dust mites do not live on or bite humans. Instead dust mites become a problem due to the allergies they create. They eat pet dander, pollen, and skin shed by people in the home. They can often be found in bedding, carpets, curtains, and couches.
Dust Mite Identification and Pest Control Facts
It is unlikely that you will see dust mites directly. You may experience a few physical symptoms if you have dust mites in your home. These include:
- Persistent coughing
- Mucous dripping down the back of your nose and throat
- Itchy skin
- Redness all over your body
Particularly for those who suffer from allergies and asthma, dust mites can cause some serious problems.
Do It Yourself Dust Mite Control
In addition to relying on the help of our technicians, if you want to know how to get rid of mites, some of the strategies that you can use include:
- Reduce the humidity in your home and keep it as cool as possible, as dust mites are sensitive to these temperatures
- Encase all mattresses in mite-proof coverings
- Use a HEPA filter in your home’s vacuum and ventilation system
- Use fabrics that can be washed easily, and frequently
- Replace your mattress every 8 years
- Frequently vacuum and dispose of the vacuum bag
If you are wondering, “what kills mites,” you can also try eucalyptus oil.
Contact Legacy Pest Control for Residential Pest Control!
Latest posts by Legacy Pest Control (see all)
- The Best Exterminator for Mice? Here’s Why Utah Residents Choose Us - February 9, 2024
- October Ant Infestations? Your Local Ant Exterminator in Utah has the Solution - October 17, 2023
- Commercial Pest Control in Utah: The Compelling Case for Legacy Pest Control - September 20, 2023